TRAI, the messiah for prepaid users in India have come again to the rescue. Come September 15th, a new set of regulations have to be followed by the service providers which aims to give the subscribers an upper hand. The major highlight of the announcement was that prepaid subscribers across all service providers (new and existing) will get full talk time on every recharge.
Only an administrative fee not exceeding Rs. 2 per recharge and applicable taxes will be deducted from the recharge amount. Lifetime customers can also shift to a plan with lower denomination without paying any additional charges.
Other regulations are:
- Subscribers to get full talk time on talk time recharges, barring an administrative fee which shall not exceed Rs.2 per recharge and applicable taxes.
- Subscribers to automatically get the benefit of straight tariff reductions without any preconditions of any explicit action by the subscriber, for example, sending SMS etc.
- Customers in existing lifetime plans can migrate to new lifetime plans with lower entry fee without having to make additional payment or recharges.
- Lifetime customers need not recharge more than once in 6 months for remaining connected.
- Customers to get key tariff information in vernacular language also at all the retail outlets of the service providers and their franchisees.
- No change in mobile number when subscriber change tariff plans or move from prepaid to postpaid or vice versa.
- Blackout days (customary/festival days on which free/concessional calls/SMS are not available) limited to a maximum of 5 days in a calendar year. Such days to be pre-specified and no subsequent alteration or addition permitted.
- Promotional offers to be streamlined.