9th February is the new date which has been scheduled for the much delayed 3G auction which was earlier planned for sometime in the second week of January. Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has proposed that it will issue an information memorandum that will detail the 3G auction process by December 8.
Also, a recent report by the telecom ministry has published details regarding the number of 3G operators in each circle. The details regarding some circles are as follows:
• Delhi and Gujarat will have three 3G operators each
• Uttar Pradesh and Himachal Pradesh will have four 3G operators each
• West Bengal will have two 3G operators
• Rajasthan and the north-east circles will not have 3G services because spectrum is not available in these regions
• All other circles will have up to five operators 3G operators each.
DoT’s decision to have fewer 3G operators per circle will definitely affect consumers waiting private telecom operators to offer 3G services, as DoT has decided to give first preference to state-owned BSNL and MTNL in the auction process.
Leave a Reply